Greetings,
Please post your second blog reactions in the comments' section of this post (based on the Perspectives of Mass Communication info posted previously).
Specifically, I'd like for you to provide an example for each of the functions of mass communication. Which of the functions do you believe is the most popular? Why?
In terms of how we use media, you read about two interesting concepts-- "conversational currency" and "parasocial relationships." Can you provide one or two personal examples of each?
For example, I feel as though I have a parasocial relationship with David Letterman. I've never met him, he's never met me, but yet I feel as if I kind of know him-- as if we'd get along well if we went out for lunch.
Also, I think that part of the reason why I pay attention to the entertainment industry the way I do (keeping up with the trade journals, web sites, new TV shows, the movies, etc.) is so that I can converse with others. Another example is that I can tell you all about Kris Allen and Adam Lambert from American Idol (and even Susan Boyle from Britain's Got Talent) and that's an example of conversational currency...
You can have until Monday @ midnight to post your second blog reaction (since I'm putting up the info so late).
Peace,
Jack
Friday, May 29, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

Examples for each of the functions of mass communication:
ReplyDeleteSurveillance- The Weather Channel is a great example of surveillance because they provide a national warning system of upcoming weather dangers such as snow storms, tornadoes, hurricanes, and other natural disasters. They also have a popular instrumental surveillance offering by providing daily forecasts and predictions of the weather. Their companion Internet site also provides a strong surveillance function complement to their television network.
Interpretation- Meet the Press on NBC is a political news reporting and analysis program shown on television and the internet. This program interviews politicians, academia, and other media experts to analyze and interpret the past week of events in politics and other key worldly events affecting our nation. The late Tim Russert made this show famous with his ability to put politicians on the spot and help his audience understand and interpret the complex news of the day.
Linkage- ebay.com is arguably the greatest example of linkage created on the internet, as tens of millions of people around the world come together to buy and sell each other personal items through an auction and bidding process.
Transmission of Values- The national radio programs and national news networks tend to slant their news coverage toward their political biases. For example, the Rush Limbaugh radio show and the MSNBC network are well known to lean toward conservative political views – transmitting their value systems and leanings upon the American public.
Entertainment- There are countless examples of entertainment functions in the media. From sports networks (ESPN) to music networks (MTV) to The Comedy Network, it seems like there’s no shortage of mass communication offerings across all media types intended to satisfy every entertainment desire. Entertainment in my opinion is the most popular function of mass communication, as all demographics consume multiple entertainment genres and offerings.
Provide one or two personal examples of "conversational currency" and "parasocial relationships":
Conversational currency- Two media segments that I pay most attention to are sports and finance. I use the information that I learn in conversations with friends and family. For example I’ll be at school in the fall watching an NFL football game, and after the game I often call my friends to discuss and interpret the game. I’m also fascinated by the finance industry and closely track several companies and their stock prices, which I discuss regularly with my father and other family members.
Parasocial relationship- Personally I love to play sports and I spend much of my time either watching it, reading about it, or playing it. My favorite sport is football so I like to compare myself to some of the stars in the NFL. I look at other quarterbacks like Tom Brady and Ben Roethlisberger and feel as if I have a Parasocial relationship with them because I truly understand their challenges and what they go through as far as preparing for a game and keeping the whole team in sync. I feel that if I had the chance to meet these guys I would be able to hold great conversations and we would be friends.
An example of surveillance would be CNN. CNN shows important things that are happening in the world and in local areas. CNN also has both warning surveillance and instrumental surveillance. For warning surveillance, CNN explains what is happening in the economy and with things such as the weather. It explains all the news you need to know in a detailed way, and what things you should be worried about and why. For instrumental surveillance, the CNN website has an entertainment section where people can look to see movie show times or the scores of sports games. While CNN on the television is mostly dedicated to warning surveillance, CNN.com has all the news in each category.
ReplyDeleteAn example of interpretation is Sports Center on ESPN. After a big game, the reporters on Sports Center will show the highlights and make comments on how the game was played and whether the athlete should have done something different or not. They analyze the importance of a certain action and explain what was done wrong and what was done right.
An example of linkage is eHarmony. eHarmony is a dating site where someone can fill out a profile explaining who they are. eHarmony will then match that person with someone who is compatible with them. This is bringing together two people who do not know each other and connecting the Internet to dating.
An example of transition of values is children’s programs. Many young children watch TV and view shows such as Dora the Explorer or the Backyardigans, which show the children to be polite, respectful, and helpful. This can influence how the children behave when not watching TV and teach them things they may not have learned elsewhere.
An example of entertainment is everything that is on the television. There are a variety of shows and movies showing everyday. No matter what type of mood you are in there is something that will fit. There is also something on every hour that will appeal to anyone.
I watch many TV shows such as House and Grey’s Anatomy, which can be an example of conversational currency. I can talk about these shows with almost anyone because they are very popular shows for other students my age. I would be able to use a show like these to start a conversation with someone that I do not know or in a situation where I was uncomfortable and did not know what else to say.
I feel that I have a parasocial relationship with Roger Ebert, because he is a film critic, and one of my favorite things to do is to watch all kinds of films. If we were to have lunch I feel as though we would be able to talk about the newest movies and have a good time together.
An example of warning surveillance is when a camera captures a burglar trying to steal something it warns the security that something is about to be stolen. A survey of a student’s test scores with or without a calculated mean is an example of Instrumental surveillance.
ReplyDeleteThe movie W. is an interpretation of the life and political career of former president, George W. Bush.
JDate is an example of linkage because it brings couples together who share common beliefs
Socialization could be when someone like Rush Limbaugh transmits his values to eight million listeners
The Terminator movies are a solely a form of entertainment.
I think Entertainment is the most popular of the functions because it is what gets people to listen to pretty much anything. Even things that have alternate main purposes put entertainment lures to get people’s attention for example the Clintons use a Fleetwood Mac song to get their message across because it’s an entertaining song to fit with their mission.
The touchiest subject in my mother’s family is politics. We are all diversified in how we think and what we believe. We try to avoid talking about it at family gatherings, but for some reason it inevitably comes up because we are all so passionate about it. It also has a major impact on all of our lives. I feel it is important to stay informed, but I find I learn more from listening to different opinions than really serious unbiased news sources. I try to keep certain opinions to myself at times when I’m with people I don’t know, of whom I want to make a good impression on. At the same time, I find that depending on the situation I learn from listening to other people’s messages or learn from actually hearing feedback on my own political message.
I have always had a parasocial relationship with the poet, Sylvia Plath. For the most part I’m not into poetry, but she speaks to me through her words. I had issues with my dad at the time I first read her poem “Daddy” and it made the poem really speak to me. As I hear her write about her husband and how he broke her heart by having affairs and learn more about her life from research and the film dramatization, I rally around her. I wonder if had she ended up with me, or someone like me, as opposed to Ted Hughes, if she would have found happiness.
The functions of mass media…
ReplyDelete-Surveillance is a watcher function. It is publically achieved through networks and local news programs. An example of surveillance would be any weather channel, for they provide national warnings regarding current conditions or potential dangers due to weather (hurricanes, storms, tornados…).
-Entertainment can be achieved through watching sitcoms, drama/ adventure series… One can find enjoyment through pretty much anything that appeals to that person as an individual.
-Interpretation services the political system. Examples include morning political programs, or daily talk shows like Jerry Springer.
-Linkage brings society together, acts as a sort of [cultural] glue. Examples of such would be websites for activities people can engage in, like online dating or volunteer programs (two opposite ends of a spectrum, yet popular hits none the least).
-Transition of values influence and teach the viewer concepts or morals they may not have found elsewhere. They also have the ability to instill in them the conviction of something they may already know yet not really hold themselves to. A great example would be any TV show that is designed for young viewers. If you’ll notice, many popular classic TV shows such as The Bernstein Bears, or Arthur, have some sort of morale attached.
--People can be gratified through just about any program or any type of mass media. One television show can represent multiple functions of mass media- Watching a certain news channel can provide enjoyment out of listening to reporters you happen to be fond of, surveillance through your satisfaction by reports made from different areas around the world, and interpretation that comes from the comments of reporters or interviewers about ideas or possible solutions regarding a certain situation.
Personal examples of “conversational currency” and “parasocial relationships”
-People share enthusiasm for a certain subject with peers, and what is revealed is the value created by these conversations. I’m an avid horse-racing fan. When it comes time to make judgments about the horses in a race, I make use of the knowledge I have as a horseperson as well as the information that is provided by the media about a certain horse, trainer, or rider. My friends and I often watch big races together and exchange information before it in terms of how a horse will place and making ‘bets’ on it, and after in terms of analyzing the race. Often what one person has to say will affect how another person will place the horses prior to the race.
-Clearly I’m a horseperson and am very involved in the sport, just as a football player often is with watching pro-football- knowing the history of certain teams or players, all types of statistics… I am the same way with knowing certain famous riders or trainers. I feel I have a parasocial relationship not just with all of them, but more specifically with many of the infamous underdog riders who have worked their way to being the top professional riders. Unlike many of my friends, I don’t have the resources to own the $100,000 horse that the intricacies of the sport often require, and I worked hard to build the reputation I have on the show-circuit. I have a slightly better understanding of what they went through to get where they are than other people may have, because I am going through a lot of the same challenges.